LEARN ABOUT US
Family Promise assists working families with children who are temporarily homeless. Learn how we work with the local Bergen County community, churches and synagogues to lend a hand to those in need.
If you are a working family with dependent children and are facing homelessness, please call the Family Promise office at 201-833-8009 for more information.
All others call 211, United Way’s Help Line for additional referrals.
Take action today and become a volunteer. There are many opportunities for individuals, groups and congregations. We have 24 host congregations and 50 support congregations throughout Bergen County that receive families in our program. Your help can make a difference in someone’s life. Click here to find an opportunity that is right for you.
The problem of poverty is complex but you can help with a simple donation of any amount.
To see our Wish List, click here.
Featured Blog Articles
Thanks to your generosity to our Holiday Gift Fund, our families had the opportunity to enjoy gifts and a very festive time at […]
Gala 2014, “The Promise of the Future”, was a resounding success, raising $88,000 to further the mission of Family Promise and help build better […]
The Central Unitarian Church Outreach Auction is dedicated to supporting Bergen County non-profit organizations that fulfill basic life needs. This festive evening, November 22, […]
To get a sense and understanding of the kinds of challenges facing many working, homeless families here at Family Promise Bergen County, please click […]
Family Promise reminds you of the partnership with the NE Laser Vein Institute of Ridgewood. The NE Laser Vein Institute donates all of the proceeds from one day of service per month to ensure that homeless families obtain the services they need to return to self-sufficiency. Please call the Family Promise of Bergen County office at (201) 833-8009 for the current monthly special.
Bogota Savings Bank has again shown its commitment to supporting the needs of the community by supporting the work of Family Promise. Led by President Joseph Coccaro, Bogota Savings Bank is a regular donor and golf outing sponsor and we are grateful for their continued support. Joe is seen here with Kate Duggan who accepted a check for $2,500.
Listen to comments from former Network residents and volunteers. They give helpful hints to make everyone more comfortable and enhance your volunteer experience. Click here to watch the video
Did You Know?
- Approximately 2.5 million children, or 1 out of every 30, will experience homelessness in the U.S. this year, up from 1.6 million just four years ago.
- Families with children make up the fastest growing segment of the homeless population.
- The core problem is lack of affordable housing. As the gap widens between income and housing costs, the risk of family homelessness grows.
- The following items CANNOT be purchased using food stamps: diapers, laundry detergent, toilet paper, soap, deodorant, feminine hygiene products, and cleaning supplies.
- Family Promise is the only organization in Bergen County sheltering working homeless families as they strive to overcome the crisis of homelessness.
- The Family Promise Network is an opportunity for volunteers of all ages and backgrounds to extend hospitality and transform lives. To view an introductory video on this sheltering program, click here.
- Our strategy is a holistic, integrated approach that begins with meeting immediate needs but reaches much further to help people achieve independence and to alleviate the root causes of poverty.